Friday, November 20, 2009

Furniture Friday Makeover

Have you ever wondered how to make a painted piece of funiture look old? 
I'm going to show the cheapeast, easiest way to do it. 



The first thing that I did was to spray paint the table. Then I took a piece of sandpaper and gave it a quick sanding, paying close attention the the edges. 



After wiping the piece down, I rub a little brown acrylic paint mixed with a little bit of water all over it. I work in small sections. About the size of half of the top of the table. Then I wipe most of it off, trying to use long straight strokes. If you wipe in a circular motion on the large flat surface, it may show up.  You don't have to be so neat anywhere else..





Furniture Feature Fridays





O.k.  So it doesn't look like I used long, straight strokes. But on the final time around, I really did.
You may need to add a little water to your rag.



It didn't really show up on the photo as well as I hoped it would.



The final step is so easy. I use floor wax/paste to give it a little extra protection and shine. 
You rub it all over the piece, let it sit a minute or two, then you wipe it off.  
Give it a little time to dry before handling it.





I hope that made sense. I'm not sure how everyone else antiques furniture but this is how I have done it for years. If anyone has any distressing tips...please comment here. I would love to here them.


Have a great weekend and be sure to stop by Miss Mustard Seeds blog to find more great furniture makeovers.
Stephanie

8 comments:

Renee said...

Great tutorial! I have been wanting to do this to a table but didn't know how to start. Thanks so much for sharing. And I LOVE the paint color!!!

Vintage Junky said...

I like it!! I have never tried using acrylic paint to distress! Great tutorial!

Smiles~Michelle

Miss Mustard Seed said...

I love how the distressing and glaze look. great job! That is almost the exact table and color I posted about a couple of days ago. Great minds think alike!

Jennifer said...

OHH... that looks great! I normally do some sanding and then rub it with some stain. I do use acrylic paint to 'age' my art though! ;)

Elyse said...

this looks great. awesome color choice(s). i find doing this to be very relaxing, like coloring with crayons or something!

xo

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Thanks for the great information.... love the table.

LillySue said...

Just popped in to see what you have been up to and to say.......
Happy Thanksgiving!
Blessings~LillySue

Anne Marie said...

love it! thanks for the tips!!

Post a Comment

If you are ever in Milford, OH...

come see my booth that I share with my friend Brenda. 
The Mercantile Mall
100 & 104 Main Street
Milford, Ohio 45150